Bylaws and Standing Rules Submission Form
This form is best completed on a desktop or laptop computer. Smartphones may not allow proper completion of the form.
As the chartering association, Texas PTA provides a template that includes both required and optional language. The required language cannot be changed by the Local PTA, and member approval is not necessary for any changes authorized by the Texas PTA Board of Directors. PTAs should request a copy of their Bylaws from Texas PTA after August 1 each year to ensure access to the most current required language.
The optional language must be approved by the members of a Local PTA with a 2/3 vote. Changes to optional language (including local dues) are not effective until your PTA receives a date-stamped copy signed by the Texas PTA President.
To maintain Good Standing with Texas PTA, all Local PTAs must update or amend their Bylaws and Standing Rules (if applicable) to Texas PTA at least once every three years.
1. Use the Bylaws Snapshot Worksheet as a guide to review your PTA’s current optional language and recommend any needed changes.
2. If changes are proposed, call a meeting of the membership (with 30-days’ notice) to approve.
3. Record the exact wording of the amendments and voting results in the meeting minutes.
4. Obtain a digital copy of the membership meeting minutes where the amendments were approved. These will need to be uploaded with this form to request the changes to the Bylaws and Standing Rules (if applicable).
5. For an updated stamp on the Bylaws (no amendments), select the “requires no changes” option.
6. If Standing Rules are also submitted, the format must be uploaded here in Microsoft Word.
7. You will receive an email confirmation listing a summary of your submission and a reference number upon successful completion. If you do not receive a confirmation email, your submission was not completed.
The average turn around time to approve Bylaws and return them to your local leaders is within 5 business days. *Please note: If you have a more urgent request for the Bylaws submission form, please contact Member Services at 1-800-TALKPTA. Processing Standing Rules averages 4 weeks, though we will strive to facilitate this process as quickly as possible. *Please note: During back to school months and Holidays, the turn around time could take longer. Should you have any questions while your submission is being reviewed, please don't hesitate to contact the Member Services Department at 1-800-Talk-PTA (1800-825-5782).